Friday, July 16, 2010

The Producers [M]

From film to Broadway smash hit musical to hilarious musical comedy. Join the two most famous producers turned con-men on their hair-brained scheme to put the worst play ever written on Broadway.

"Springtime for Hitler and Germany. Watch out Europe, we're going on tour."

I confess, I love musicals and I'm glad glad glad that I love musicals, because if I didn't, I would never have bothered to sit down and watch wonderful movies such as The Producers. This one in my collection is the remake from 2005, and it's always my choice when I'm feeling a bit down or, in the spirit of the movie ..."Very very very very very very very unhappy." No matter how upset or angry I am, this movie always manages to put a big smile on my face.
After turning his first motion picture into a Tony Award-winning Broadway musical, Mel Brookes now brings his story of the two would-be theatre moguls turned con-men to the screen as a hilarious and fun musical comedy.

Max Bialystock is a down on his luck Broadway producer whose golden days seem to be behind him. Leopold Bloom is his accountant. Upon going through Max's books, Leo discovers that, with the help of a little creative accounting, a producer could in fact make more money with a flop than he could with a hit. Together, the pair concoct a plan to find the worst play ever written, put it on Broadway and watch it fail, making over a million dollars in the process. The two con-men find their lifeboat in a play entitled Springtime For Hitler, written by a neo-Nazi pigeon fancier. The plan it faultless, but can they pull it off?

Nathan Lane plays the role of Max Bialystock and I just burst into huge fits of giggles whenever he comes onto the screen. He is absolutely amazing. He can go from cranky madman to sobbing desperate man in the blink of an eye. With mood swings this extravagant, it's a wonder he hasn't done himself an injury.
Matthew Broderick plays Leopold Bloom and he's just as insane as Nathan, only not as obvious. I am a fan of Matthew, I have to confess. I find him adorable in anything he does. The scene is this flick where we first see him go completely out of his mind enough to scare Nathan is hands down the funniest scene in the whole movie.
In actual fact, all the characters in this movie are eccentric and insane. I don't think I could ever pick a favourite. It's a classic mix:
A grouchy and desperate Broadway producer.
A screaming and neurotic accountant.
A pigeon-fancying Nazi.
A sexy Swedish secretary/receptionist.
A flamboyant director.
What more could you want?
Be warned, this is no modest musical. Each musical sequence is dazzling and grandiose with lights, showgirls, over-the-top costumes, dance routines and the songs... you cannot help but sing along.
Packed to bursting with names such as Uma Thurman, Will Ferrell, Eileen Essell, Jon Lovitz, Roger Bart, and Gary Beach, The Producers is a timeless classic musical that will have you clutching your sides and gasping for breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment