Sunday, July 11, 2010

Twilight [M]

About 3 things Bella is absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him that thirsted for her blood. And third, she was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.

There's only two possible responses to the title of this review: a squeal or a groan. But yes, acting upon wine-fuelled impulse last night, Twilight was the movie that I chose to sit down and watch.
Straight away I'm going to say that I really don't understand what is so brilliant about these films. Don't start with a book argument, because I've read those as well and I still don't see what is so special about the whole thing. Having said this, I will admit that I made my way through the books fast enough and the movies that they've made so far have made it into the collection for some reason or another.
Alright, let's talk Twilight.

Bella Swan moves to the cold and rainy community of Fawkes to live with her father Charlie. Whilst there she catches the attention of Edward Cullen and a romance begins to blossom. But there is a catch. Edward is a vampire and there is a part of him that strongly thirsts for Bella's blood. Falling into the company of vampires puts Bella's life in danger as there are many other vampires out there who are not so disciplined as the Cullens.
Ok so it's a love story. An almost forbidden love story. Perfect for each other, but dangerous as the same time. We must keep in mind that this is just the first movie in a series of four, which is why the plot line can be summed up in a sentence. The whole movie is really just an introduction to the story and the characters.

I will say that I do like the way the movie is filmed, particularly when the camera is moving over the landscape and around snow-capped mountains as super speed, like a vampire. I also like the simplicity that this movie has. There is a paleness over everything, like a constant overcast day, which is fitting for the whole thing.
I will also say that the casting of the Cullens was great. I don't know, but the whole thing with the Cullens being a family, but not being a "family" appealed to me. I will say this though: I liked Robert Pattinson so much more as Cedric Diggory in the fourth Harry Potter.
Everything about this movie is subtle and subdued. The use of light, use of colour, the script, the costumes, even the music.
In all honesty, you either like this movie or you don't. I seriously don't see what's so special about the whole thing, but the fact that I read the books and own the movie indicates that there is something about it that appeals to me, I just don't know what that is... yet.
It's an international phenomenon, something everyone knows, you may as well watch it if you're curious, but if not, I don't think you're missing much.

No comments:

Post a Comment