Thursday, July 15, 2010

Julie & Julia [PG]

Passion. Ambition. Butter. Do you have what it takes? Based on two true stories, Julie & Julia is a scrumptious feast!

It's been maybe 3 or so weeks since I last watched this movie, but a certain scene from it just popped into my head and I figure, why NOT write and rave about a movie as delicious as this one?
First, I have to say that this movie is the movie that inspired me to actually sit down and start the whole Hannah Belle's Couch thing. It was the project undertaken by Julie Powell that sparked the idea to review my entire dvd collection as well as newly released movies both on dvd and on the big screen. Not only that, but this was the movie that inspired me to start cooking. I actually went out and bought a copy of Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering The Art Of French Cooking as well as Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion to start me off. I have also started documenting whatever recipes I try in the kitchen, many of which are ones that mum and dad are teaching me from scratch. So right away, I have to say that this movie is not only inspiring, but also has a strong influence on its audience.

The film is based on two true stories. Julie & Julia by Julie Powell and My Life In France by Julia Child. Needless to say that half the movie is set in Paris, the other half is set in Queens in a flat above a pizzeria.
Julia Child and her husband Paul move to Paris in the beginning of the film and Julia absolutely loves it there. The only downside is that the french wives don't do anything to occupy their time and that just simply isn't Julia. The following recited scene sums it all up pretty well (see, I really do love this movie)...
Paul - "What is it that you really love to do?"
Julia - "Eat."
Paul - "I know. I know I know. And you're SO good at it!"
Julia - "I am good."
Paul - "Look at you, now, how good you are!"
Julia - "I'm growing in front of you."
That scene makes me laugh every time. After having this conversation with her husband, Julia decides that she will go to cooking school. Whilst labouring away in the course for advanced cooks, Julia finds joy in the preparation of food and soon teams up with new friends Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle who are writing a french cookbook for American cooks. You'll have to watch the film to see how that pans out.
The beginning of the film also finds another couple moving to a new home. Julie Powell and her husband Eric move to Queens. Pretty much straight away we learn that Julie finds great comfort in cooking, especially after a long workday trapped in a cubicle and a job that she despises. After a lunch date with successful friends she simply cannot stand, Julie decides that she should begin a blog because...
Julie - "I have thoughts."
During a dinner conversation with her husband, Julie decides that she will write a blog about cooking. Not only that, but that her blog will document her progress on a "deranged assignment" to cook her way through the Julia Child cookbook, Mastering The Art Of French Cooking, in one year. 365 days, 524 recipes. Does she manage it? You'll have to watch the movie to find out.

Meryl Streep plays Julia Child and she is simply adorable. Seriously she is just the sweetest thing in the whole movie, even sweeter than the french desserts she makes. Stanley Tucci plays her husband Paul and, nobody else could do so. The chemistry between the two is breathtaking. It's beyond beautiful. In the words of Julie "they were so in love."
Amy Adams plays Julie Powell. She is lovely. She can be a little bitter sometimes during the film, but she balances that out with a little sweetness, a pinch of quirkiness, and plenty of butter. Watching Amy in the kitchen is fantastic. It is truly inspiring. Seriously, after watching Amy make bruschetta, I actually made bruschetta for my dad's birthday entree. So there you go.
The film is written for the screen and directed by Nora Ephron, and I must say that it there is something intriguing about 2 stories which are in some way in sync with each other without the characters ever actually meeting one another. This film is truly one of a kind.
Having been described as "a scrumptious feast", Julie & Julia is clever, romantic, funny, inspiring, and is guaranteed to make you hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment