Monday, January 20, 2014

The Life of Frank Sinatra [E]


Not actual cover art

From humble beginnings to becoming ‘the Voice’, Frank Sinatra’s life and career is something to be marvelled at. Before Elvis was causing crazy girl riots, there was ‘Ol Blue Eyes who charmed his legions of Bobby Soxers time and time again. Suffering the trials and tribulations of 2 marriages, mass slamming from the columnists, and deep slumps in his career; Sinatra’s resilience continues to make for a celebrity story that sparks admiration and respect.  

So it would seem that I’m on a bit of a Frank Sinatra bender tonight: this little doco came in my Sinatra triple pack and I figured why not give it a try. I’m not usually a fan of docos, I really have to love the subject or person they’re about, but I do have to admit that this is the first doco that I’ve seen that is actually quite dated. For me, docos have always been an acquired taste, but until tonight I never really considered that there could be good and bad docos like there are in movies. Look at that, you learn something new every day. 

From humble beginnings to becoming ‘the Voice’, Frank Sinatra’s life and career is something to be marvelled at. Before Elvis was causing crazy girl riots, there was ‘Ol Blue Eyes who charmed his legions of Bobby Soxers time and time again. Suffering the trials and tribulations of 2 marriages, mass slamming from the columnists, and deep slumps in his career; Sinatra’s resilience continues to make for a celebrity story that sparks admiration and respect. 

There are really only two things I can draw opinion on when discussing this doco. On the bad side of the spectrum, just to get it out of the way, it’s pretty badly done and lacking in technique. Now, to be fair, I don’t actually know what year this was made in, therefore it could be that a lot of its ‘badness’ comes merely from its being hugely dated by modern standards. It’s important to remember that the art of documentary making has probably evolved just as much as cinema and therefore earlier ones should not be judged so harshly. What struck me as being a little off-centre and ‘bad’ was the jagged editing, the lack of flow (everything, all aspects of Sinatra’s life were quickly thrown together and merely glossed over), and the trying narration, which was made up of a language of the masses rather than any academic or even glossy and professional tone. 
My second point of discussion bats for both teams in a way as a fair portion of this feature is made up of scenes from Sinatra’s movies as well as TV and vintage footage (that has seen better days: it’s all granulated and very hard to focus on), giving the entire doco more of a montage feel. Having said this, I learned quite a bit about Sinatra’s film career and discovered that there are so many movies of his that I’ve never seen (and I can myself a fan pah). For me, there’s always a little spark that accompanies a cast list: when you see two names together and go “wow I’ve got to see that!” Sinatra did many films with Gene Kelly, Tony Curtis, and Shirley MacLaine, all people whom I love and I didn’t know this? What sort of film buff am I hmm? 
There are many stories, reports, and anecdotes harboured within this doco that are fascinating, it can’t be denied that Sinatra had a fascinating life, but ultimately I found this doco just to be too dated and jagged to really enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment