Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Deal [M]


Gordon Brown and Tony Blair: two men, two politicians, two friends who began their ascents to power together, but became detached and pitted against one another in a rivalry that made headlines. Now, both men vying for the “big job”, becoming leader of the Labour Party, their friendship suffers a strain as the two strike up a deal for the sake of the nation. 

The prequel to The Queen, The Deal tells the true story of Prime Ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown and is guaranteed to heat the blood of those with a flare for politics. I am going to say, right from the off, that I am rather in the dark when it comes to politics (I shouldn’t be because it is a driving force in every country and effects everyone), but I am. Therefore, because of my own political knowledge failings, I did not enjoy this film as much as I possibly could have, namely because the subject matter was completely foreign to me. (So please, reader, keep in mind that) this really is a great film and it is only through my own faults that I cannot see just how great. 

Gordon Brown and Tony Blair: two men, two politicians, two friends who began their ascents to power together, but became detached and pitted against one another in a rivalry that made headlines. Now, both men vying for the “big job”, becoming leader of the Labour Party, their friendship suffers a strain as the two strike up a deal for the sake of the nation. 

These types of films are in a league entirely their own; The Queen, The Deal, Frost/Nixon all use actual footage and interviews regarding the events of the time, bringing forth the reality of the whole thing as well as seamlessly integrating fact and fiction, making these films just as real as any documentary or news story. I really like that because it really does put more power into the film because a) it hammers home the point that all the events are true and not invention, and b) it makes us see things from an entirely different perspective. Being true events, there are undoubtedly people out there who witnessed them, read the headlines, and had their own formulated opinions about the whole thing. But then watching this film, it brings them closer to the inner drama and possibly causes them to rethink whatever harsh thoughts or nice thoughts they had about the behaviour of these characters at the time. You see where I’m going with this? I mean it sincerely and I think it’s fantastic! These filmmakers are geniuses and should be applauded. 
Michael Sheen delivers a wonderful performance as Tony Blair, but the real star of the show was David Morrissey who starred as Gordon Brown. His was a performance that was cleanly coated in passion, ambition, and a subtle hint of betrayal, which I found completely captivating. 
Starring Matt Blair, Dexter Fletcher, Frank Kelly, Stuart McQuarrie, and Paul Rhys, The Deal is a captivating little film that’s filled with real footage, politics, ambition, friendship, paparazzi, and power. Even if, like me, the subject matter is completely incomprehensible, you’re still going to get something out of this film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment