Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hop [G]


Fred is an out of work slacker who lives with his parents and causes them disappointment. EB is a young bunny, soon to become the next Easter Bunny and none too pleased about it. The paths of these two unlikely friends cross when EB runs away from home and Fred accidentally hits him with a car. Whilst in each other’s company, both Fred and EB learn what it takes to finally grow up. 

This was a cute film. It did have its clever and more memorable moments, but ultimately it was really just a cute kiddie movie. 

Fred is an out of work slacker who lives with his parents and causes them disappointment. EB is a young bunny who is soon to become the next Easter Bunny and is none to pleased about it. The paths of these two unlikely friends cross when EB runs away from home and Fred accidentally hits him with a car. Whilst in each other’s company, both Fred and EB learn what it takes to finally grow up. 

I will admit that the animation was dazzling, particularly the Easter Factory (which had a slight hint of Tim Burton’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), the story had legs, and the film did harbour some moments of clever comedy gold, but ultimately I could not take this film seriously. 
As much as I love Russell Brand (and I thoroughly enjoyed his comedic cameo in this film), I just couldn’t get my head around the fact that he voiced the main character, EB. The cute, furry, face and attitude did not really match the voice behind it. I’m probably the only person in the world who thinks that, but that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. 
I also have to say that, as much as I LOVE James Marsden, I could not take him seriously in this film either. I mean, he’s playing a helicopter kid! James Marsden (and please take this as a compliment James, if you’re reading) is fresh and vibrant and charming on screen, and for him to be playing a character that is meant to be lazy, freeloading, and selective, just didn’t’ work. You just could not match the ugly attitude to the gorgeous man on screen! 
Featuring the voice talents of Hank Azaria and Hugh Laurie, and starring Elizabeth Perkins, Gary Cole, Kaley Cuoco, and David Hasselhoff, Hop was a cute family movie based on potential but, through cast faults I feel, did not reach the best of its ability. Filled with dazzling sweets, memorable characters, funny modern references, and a few moments of clever comedy gold, it’s a film that I’m happy to have seen, but once will be enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment