Saturday, June 11, 2011

From Here to Eternity [PG]


In the months leading up to that fateful day in December 1943, soldiers living in the barracks in Hawaii are each facing their own problems. Prewitt, a former bugler, boxer, and a new member to the troop is being punished for refusing to join his captain’s boxing team. His friend Maggio is trying to help but is facing problems of his own, mainly from the abusive stockade sergeant. Whilst the two troops battle through, their sergeant, Sergeant Warden is treading a dangerous line as he engages in an affair with the Captain’s wife. 

Only after reading what it said about this movie in The Book, can I see why this film did so well back in its day. It was based on a historical event, it used real footage, and it contained themes of adultery, violence, and general abuse, which is something that was not seen that often in films. So, yes, I will say that, for its day, From Here to Eternity was a very different and remarkable film, but to a modern audience, it wasn’t all that. 

In the months leading up that fateful day in December 1943, soldiers living in the barracks in Hawaii are each facing their own problems. Prewitt, a former bugler, boxer, and new member to the troop is being punished and pushed to join the boxing team so that the Captain might win the trophy and get his promotion. Although they hit him with every form of punishment, Prewitt continues to refuse, but the Captain and his boys won’t back down. Trying to help Prewitt is his friend Maggio who is facing troubles of his own, being victimised by the abusive and violent stockade sergeant. While the boys battle through their problems, their regiment sergeant, Sergeant Warden, amidst trying to keep everything under control, is treading a dangerous line as he engages in an affair with the Captain’s wife. 

Maybe it was the weather, maybe I wasn’t in the right mood, maybe it’s because I kept getting interrupted, maybe I’ve too much to compare it with. Whatever the reason, I did not really see what made From Here to Eternity so special. I will admit that the performances were admirable, the use of vintage footage of the attack on Pearl Harbour was a brilliant, and the kissing on the beach scene was rather romantic, but on the whole I honestly don’t see why the film won so many Academy Awards. 
After reading what The Book has to say about it, my mind is a little more open, but, and I’m just being honest, I am a modern audience member and, though this is a classic example of bias, I did not see the film as all that. It’s dramatic themes of adultery, prostitution, violence, and abuse of power, were shocking themes for that day and age when, I believe, most films were not as melodramatic and real. I suspect that was why it did so well, because it was different and real. 
Starring Montgomery Cliff, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra, Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed, From Here to Eternity was a good film, one that you need to see at least once. Filled with brawls, romance, beaches, booze, action, and the odd bit of comedy, it’s earned its place in The Book, but I don’t think I need to add it to my collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment