Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Mask [PG]

Mothers lock up your daughters becomes the love-crazy Mask is on the loose. In this side-splitting comedy, Jim Carrey goes from zero to hero.

"It's party time! P-A-R-T... Y? Cos I gotta! Ooh somebody stop me!"

I don't want to stereotype or type-cast the brilliant Jim Carrey because he is not just a comic actor, he has done many thrilling and beautiful dramas and thrillers too, but I am going to say that I think he is at his finest in this movie. I grew up watching this movie and it's one of those classics that stays with you. Seriously, you'll find yourself quoting Jim randomly in practically any situation and immediately you'll go "man I feel like watching that now." It's one of those movies. Genius.

Stanley Ipkiss is a well-mannered bank clerk and a hopeless romantic who discovers an ancient mask that has the power to bring his innermost desires to, literally, screaming life. At first it's all a novelty until things get serious when Stanley crosses paths with the "mafia" of Edge City. It's the truth universally acknowledged that you should be careful what you wish for, and as Stanley develops a strong liking for the freedom the mask promises, he learns that that freedom will come with a price.

Jim Carrey as the green-faced, love-crazy, crime-fighting, wild man of the mask is phenomenal. No matter how many times I watch this movie, I always end up doubled-over, my sides splitting from laughing too hard. Not to mention the sensational script! Dead-set, this is one the scripts that my family and I are often quoting in usual conversation. In the middle of asking about how our day went, we'll find a place to add in a little "sssmmokin'!"
Along with Peter Riegert, Peter Greene, Amy Yasbeck, Richard Jeni and introducing Cameron Diaz, The Mask is a timeless classic comedy that will have you in stitches every time you watch it.

"Ssssmokin!"

No comments:

Post a Comment